Sunday, August 23, 2009

Why I wore three pairs of pants in two hours

So as most of you know, Aaron and I are now living in Manama, Bahrain. We have been here for a grand total of four days so I don't have a ton of interesting stuff to report yet other than the fact that this place is as hot as the surface of the sun. We're talking serious heat here people, like the working dog on base has to wear shoes because the ground is too hot kind of heat. I have concluded that make-up and hair styling is absolutely futile here because make-up instantly melts off your face the second you step outside and well, the humidity here is like 75% or something, so blow-drying my hair so that is nice and shiny and straight is out of the question.

Incidentally, we arrived here in Bahrain a day before Ramadan (Islamic holiday that lasts a lunar month) started so the rules for American military personnel are as follows:
-No eating or drinking in public during daylight hours (not even water or gum)
-Long pants must be worn at all times while off base, meaning no capris, shorts, or skirts (basically no ankle showing).
This brings me to the title of this post. You see, we are currently living in a hotel until we find an apartment out in town. Our hotel has laundry service, meaning that someone will pick up your laundry for you and bring it back the next day. This sounds nice, but I don't want to pay more than I have to for laundry and I also don't like people doing stuff for me that I can do myself, so I decided to take my clothes that need urgent washing to the laundromat on base. This turned out to be more of a burdensome task than it ever should be. In order for me to wash my only two pairs of jeans, I would need to be wearing something else in the meantime, but the only other pants I have to wear are capris. So I wore one of my dirty pairs of jeans (1) to walk to base. Once I got on base, I changed into my capris (2) and threw my jeans into the wash. After all my clothes were clean, I changed into my stretchiest pair of jeans (3), (nothing like putting on a pair of jeans straight from the dryer while in the hottest place on the planet!) because as we all know, jeans always seem to come out of the dryer smaller and require a significant amount of squatting and lunging in order to make them fit again...you know you do it too :) Anyway, wearing my third pair of pants for the day, I walked the five minute walk back to my hotel and by the time I got there, my freshly cleaned and stretched out jeans had already been soaked through with sweat again.
Le sigh...regardless of the heat and the barren, dusty scenery, I am glad to be in this sandbox because I get to experience Bahrain with Aaron even if he will be deployed periodically for uncertain amounts of time. I think that I was allowed to come here for a reason and I fully intend to make the best of every situation even if the circumstances are less than desirable.

2 comments:

  1. If you're avoiding make-up because it instantly melts off, think of the money you'll save over the next two years! And yes, I understand totally about having to stretch and lunge to get the jeans to fit just right...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one of the lucky!
    you don't need make up to look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete