Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Savoring summer

So here in Bahrain school does not start until after Ramadan is over, which means I still have about 3 more weeks of summer vacation to go. Having time off from school has been nice because I have more time for such things like reading, cooking, baking, house cleaning, etc., but it also means that I have A LOT of free time on my hands. As much as I daydream and long for free time during the school year, once I finally get some, I don't know what to do with it. This year, all this summer free time is devoted to obsessing about one thing: baby. Have I revised and perfected my year plan like I promised I would do over the summer? No. Have I done anything productive related to anything not baby? No. Here are some of the things that have been occupying my thoughts these last few weeks:

Lord of the Rings:
I have had this massive book sitting in our library for about 3 years now and still haven't gotten around to reading it, and now...the clock is ticking. Thus I have decided to set the baby books aside occasionally and read Tolkien's epic work for the first time because who knows when I'm going to have a chance to read a book this big EVER again? I am loving it by the way. Why did it take me so long to start reading this?

Jeep Grand Cherokee:
We decided that as much as I love faithful ol' Bessie, (1990 Geo Tracker) we should probably find something that is less miniature and fun size to safely carry baby around in (carseat barely fits in the back seat). I have been searching for a new vehicle to drive in Bahrain for months and have finally hit the jackpot! After stalking the parking lot on the Navy base every day for cars for sale, I spotted this very nice jeep: (just a picture from the web, but it looks exactly like this).


We went to test drive it last night and loved it! So it looks like I will have new wheels for the year 2010-2011! Woot.

Introducing dog to baby:
So there are many experienced mothers out there. Any tips on how to get Maple used to a new member of the family? I am not exceedingly worried about this, I am just wondering how she will react to a new baby. I am NOT going to just throw her outside because you just can't do that to a dog in a country where cookies can be baked on the dashboard of your car (yes, I have tried it and it worked). She gets VERY concerned and excited when she hears any baby cry. I hope that means she has some sort of mama dog instincts and that she will behave very well around our baby. We do plan to get her fixed in a few weeks, that should calm her down a little (sorry Maple!). At first I didn't want to get her fixed because I wanted her to have puppies, (who can resist all that dachshund cuteness?!) but after thinking about it, I don't think I could bear to part with the little buggers, much less watch Maple's puppies get taken away from her :(

Fuzzibunz diapers:
Ok, I'm not a hippie or anything, but I really like the idea of using cloth diapers. The most environmentally friendly thing I do is recycle our old milk and orange juice containers. But this sounds like such a good idea! The amount of trash produced by the babies of the world is astounding. My friends Josh and Alison use them on their daughter Eva and really like them a lot and recommended these to me:

http://www.fuzzibunz.com/one_size_diaper.php

They come in all kinds of colors and you can make them bigger as your baby gets bigger. Husband likes the idea because this saves money!

Parenthood:
As the weeks fly by, I can't help but think more and more about how everything is going to change. Baby is due in 13 weeks. Aaron is deploying again in 3-4 weeks (mid September) and will be gone until November. Meaning that the next 3-4 weeks are probably the last we will be able to spend together as just us two! Ah! Now I have been reassured that he will be here for the birth and for some time after. I have no idea how long he will be able to stay in Bahrain after baby is born (just one of those FUN things about being a Navy wife) but I am not allowing myself to stress over that right now because things change so quickly and frequently in Aaron's work schedule that it is not worth fretting over at the moment. The point is, come the end of November, there will be three in our family instead of two! To those of you who already have kids, did that not freak you out?! That someone ELSE is about to dictate all your evening plans, sleeping schedules, travel arrangements, etc...?! Well I guess that's why I still have 13 more weeks to prepare right? For now, I am taking every opportunity to savor every nap, movie night, date night, hour at the gym/pool, and lazy day as possible.


And now to find something more productive to do....







No comments:

Post a Comment