Monday, August 16, 2010

Reconnecting

So this Friday is the anniversary of Aaron and I coming to Bahrain. I can't believe we've already been here a whole year! It has been a fantastic and challenging year, made most significant and exciting by our biggest (and so far easiest, haha) accomplishment this year...a baby!

Our little girl is due late November (due date is actually Thanksgiving Day!) and is growing and kicking more every day. I will be 26 weeks on Thursday. How did 6 1/2 months go by? How am I already knocking on the door of the third trimester? Time has gone by so quickly it scares me silly thinking about how soon she will be here. I haven't finished reading all 10 books I have started reading about every topic under the sun related to pregnancy and childbirth/childcare. Aaron and I attended a class on base last week about how to take care of newborns and although it was very informative, we learned that the world is much too dangerous for babies and that a protective bubble would be best for the early stages of life. Who knew that cribs can be deathtraps and cats vicious baby suffocaters? We both left that class with wide eyed stares, clutching tons of pamphlets and books in hopes of learning all we can about how to keep a child alive!! (I am exaggerating of course and feel perfectly capable of taking care of a baby...it was just too much scary information at once)

Anywho, allow me to answer some questions for those of you who have not heard from me in forever (my apologies):

How was the first trimester? Any morning sickness?
First trimester was really easy. I never got sick and I never threw up. I just had/have a nose with superpower smelling. I can smell a Bahraini woman's perfume from like a mile away.

Do you have a name picked out?
We think we may have settled on a name but I'm not telling you because I don't feel like it yet. For some reason, I feel like it's personal. Is that weird? Sorry...I'll give you a clue...it's a girl's name :)

How did you tell Aaron you were pregnant?
I had always envisioned a very romantic/theatrical scene in my mind about telling my husband the good news. You know, come up with some sort of fun scavenger hunt, or gift, or I don't know...I always liked how Lucy told Ricky she was pregnant in "I Love Lucy" and wanted to do something fun and romantic to tell Aaron. Well, I ended up being so freaked out about actually getting TWO blue lines, I couldn't keep my cool for more than five minutes. I tried to stay calm and act like nothing was different while trying to think of a plan, but I was doing so much nervous giggling and trying not to cry that I ended up just putting the pregnancy test on the table while Aaron was mid hot dog bite. In hindsight however, I think that even though some of life's greatest anticipated moments don't turn out the way you had planned on your mind's movie screen, they still turn out to be the best ever.



Are you going to have the baby in Bahrain?

Yes. Babies are born here just like everywhere else. I really like my doctor so far and she came highly recommended by all the other Navy wives out here. Our baby will have a US birth certificate, passport, ect. and will be a US citizen.

How are you feeling now?
Starting to feel more pregnant which means I have more things to whine about. My feet hurt, by back hurts, my side hurts, and small tasks make me very tired. My body temperature is higher (which means husband is always cold in the house, hehe) and my nose is always stuffy. According to my doctor, I have gained 13 pounds (nevermind the X amount of pounds I instantly gained the first month of pregnancy...I pretend those don't count) I am very emotional all the time, which is often embarrassing. I like to think I am a tough cookie not pregnant, but pregnancy seems to have activated my tear ducts in a way that makes me cry over the stupidest things. I also like to blame my recent bought of clumsiness on pregnancy. There has been many a thing dropped, spilled, burned, etc. these last couple of months.

Are you going back to work?
Yes and No. I am going to teach during the first quarter of school (so September and October) but will be calling it quits in November. I do not have it in me to take care of a newborn and teach middle school. Hopefully, my school will find someone to replace me before November. Anyone wanna come teach 7th grade English in Bahrain? Let me know!!

Do you need anything?
I was able to go home and visit family for a couple of weeks in Texas this summer and while I was there I got to do a lot of really fun shopping! I acquired a lot of essentials and was able to squeeze them into my suitcase to bring back here. I did however, find time to register at Target and Baby's R' Us (an overwhelming experiencing by the way...there is so much STUFF for babies!). When I registered, I didn't know if we were having a boy or a girl, so everything is pretty gender neutral, but now that I know...feel free to send the pink!!

And now, for those of you who may have missed these on Facebook...


18 weeks


21 Weeks


25 Weeks



This is what I have set up so far in the nursery. We haven't set up the crib yet, but I will post a picture when we do. All our nursery stuff is a Noah's Ark theme.




Here is a picture of Aaron looking skinnier and me looking fatter :) (Note the waitress in the background.)


More to come later!

No comments:

Post a Comment