Saturday, July 16, 2011

Ode to Bessie



Ok so this really isn't going to be an Ode. It's more like a lament...in non musical or poetic form. I will begin my tragic tale with some good news first though. In case you haven't heard, our little family is moving to England! Hurray for being together for 3 whole years deployment free in an awesome part of the world!

Part of the moving process involves getting rid of stuff. In our case this involves finding new homes for our pets, and....finding a new owner for Bessie (sniff). Wait...why am I sniffing over an old car and not over my faithful furry companions? Eh...I'll save that for another blog post...maybe...I don't have a very good track record for being faithful to this thing. Unfortunately we can only take one car to England, and since we now have a baby, it makes more sense to take the more functional, safer car (our Honda Civic). Also I'm not sure England would let an old clunker like Bessie into their country.

So who is Bessie? This is Bessie:





Anyone who has known me within the last 10 years knows my 1990 Geo Tracker well. My parents bought it in 2001 intending it to be the new family car (scoff). When I first saw it in the driveway, I knew it was meant to be mine and feelings of possessiveness took over. I could not bear the idea of my parents driving around in the cutest little four wheel drive ever that was obviously waaay too cool for them and therefore waaay too embarrassing for me to be driven around by them in. So my parents and I struck a deal....I don't remember anymore what that was...I think it involved me getting a job so I could pay them back for the car and pay my insurance bill or something.

Then began the lessons in driving a stick shift. Dad and I went round and round our neighborhood every day until I could drive it without stalling out every 10 seconds. I washed it lovingly and hung a blue flower leis in the rear view mirror so I could look cool like everyone else. I sat in it at night and dreamed about the independence I would have once I finally had my license and could drive myself to school and church (and Aaron's house!). I spent half of my summer my sophomore year in drivers ed, got my license, and then Bessie and my adventures together began (heaven help me when Autumn is old enough to drive).

So why do I call her Bessie? (I often like to name favorite possessions...and plants.) I guess it's because I figure Bessie would be a good name for a reliable old horse, and that's kind of what the ol' Tracker has been to me.

Since 2001 she has:
  • Taken me to volleyball practice, All-State auditions, puppet practices, worship band practices, and many many high school dates (with Aaron of course).
  • Driven me five minutes late to almost all my college classes.
  • Provided a rooftop on which to perch myself whenever Aaron called me from some far away location...California, Georgia, Iraq.
  • Moved around the world! She's been an awesome car to have in Bahrain due to the rough roads and tight parking spaces.
  • Saved me from many an insurance claim due to the trusty old tire on the back preventing any damage from fender benders.
  • Stranded me...a lot. Broken clutches, fly wheels, and fan belts, overheated radiator...it's ok, I forgive her.
  • Been a back up place to nurse my baby.
  • Taken Aaron on an awesome off-roading adventure.
  • Been the place I have probably prayed and cried and sang the most.
I know it's just a thing, and I know I'm being ridiculously sentimental. But some things hold so many memories of good experiences that it's hard to let them go. I've already had an offer to buy her, but he wanted her to use for scrap...and I just can't allow that. I'm sure some of you have fond memories of your first car (although I'm sure most of you didn't hold on to yours as long as I did) so maybe you understand. Someone left their number on her windshield the other day...I guess I better go call it :(

1 comment:

  1. It's okay to be sentimental about something that has been part of your life for 10 years! Just remember: you're on to bigger and better things! :)

    ReplyDelete